Wednesday, July 30, 2008

TRIBUTE TO A SEAMAN! (read this!)


You know the old man I was taking care of guys? Well, he recently passed away just yesterday morning at around 4:44 am.

I was the one who was with him from he's entry to the ICU until his last heartbeat. I was also the one to inform his family including all his children abroad.

Those two nights in the ICU were actually the hardest part of my work. I didn't sleep and was just checking on him from time manually taking his vital signs just to make sure the machines attached to him weren't lying.I was also the last one to talk to him to send his family's regards and final message. It was as if I'm already a part of their family and was saying my last message for him.

When we had our last ECG reading on him and saw that it was already a flat line (meaning there's no more heartbeat) I was just numb. I was indifferent. I couldn't cry nor lament immediately. I assisted in post-mortem care and his last cleaning to make sure he looks well even in his current state. I wanted his family to see that he had the best care we could provide and that he was loved more than the usual amount a paid nurse could give.

I assisted in bringing him to the morgue and also in settling the paperworks for him to be released in the hospital we're in. I even went back to his house to clean and organize all his medical belongings and those that could still be use.

His wife welcomed me telling me how sorry she was she could not go when he gave his final breath because she could not bear to see her husband like that. I know she was telling the truth and just hug her to give my deepest condolences for tatay.

It was when I went back to the house that I cried upon seeing his empty bed thinking how recently he was just there responding to our talks even by just winking his eyes or moving his tounge.

I could not have been anymore thankful to him and his family for letting my friend Krsytel and I take care of him even in his dying days. They made us feel comfortable to work and respected our decisions regarding his medical care.

To Sir Jorge de Guzman and his family I could not have express my deepest gratitude for the trust, confidence and love you've shown to us. It is only by publishing this blog and telling as much people as I can of your generosity and kindness that I could somehow giveback what you gave us.


TATAY, SALAMAT PO SA LAHAT. NAPAMAHAL NA PO KAYO SA AKIN KAHIT NURSE NYO LANGPO AKO AT DI ANAK. SANA PO MAKAPAGPAHINGA NA KAYO.
SALAMAT
PO TALAGA...


Dsc00720_3

To all his family, relatives, friends and acquaintances Mr. Jorge DE Guzman's wake is at their house at Brgy. Pook, Don Jose Zaball Subdivision Sta. Rosa Laguna.
Till next time guys, hope you read this blog!

No comments: